Thursday, December 08, 2005

Pull from the Centre

Don't ask about the 'nb nb' post. It is not a special knitting term. Somehow the computer at work had a glitch as I was posting and now it can't be deleted.

I had bought some large balls of yarn from Zellers and had to wind them off into smaller balls today for our knitting group. There was some general discussion about how to wind a ball of wool, and then Connie remarked that my balls had wool coming from the centre. She seemed to think that was better than the other way where the ball bounces around and unravels as you knit.

I held up my left thumb and secured the end of the wool in my left hand, holding it in with my 3 smaller fingers. Then I started to wind the wool coming from the large ball around my thumb gradually turning my thumb back and forth and winding the wool around at different angles to create a well-balanced small ball of yarn. The original end comes out of the centre. The nice thing is that you can put an elastic around the outside of the ball and keep it all together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home